£610 5 Days
La Guajira Tour
Visit La Guajira – Colombia’s Fascinating Northern Region
La Guajira is a remarkable destination in Colombia many tourists don’t get a chance to enjoy. It’s located in the northern part of Colombia, between an amazing beach and a desert, with landscapes that make you feel like you’re on a different planet.
During this 5-day tour, you will have the change to visit some of the most beautiful spots of Colombia’s Caribbean coast including Riohacha, Cabo de la Vela and Punta Gallinas. Learn about the proud heritage and traditions of the indigenous inhabitants, called the Wayuu. You will also discover unique remote beaches with turquoise waters in the middle of the desert, sand dunes and flamingo-filled lagoons. It’s a perfect off the beaten track adventure for anyone who enjoys the beach and Colombian culture.
EXPERIENCE TYPE Beach, Culture & Local Traditions
Riohacha is the capital city of La Guajira and the gateway to the peninsula. It is about 170km east of Santa Marta. Riohacha was founded on August 6, 1545 and is located next to the Ranchería River. The town’s sites can be explored in a few hours beginning with the beachfront Paseo de la Marina, the Cathedral of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios and the colonial plaza
Cabo de la Vela
This fishing village is located 180km northwest of Riohacha and is one of the first places visited by Europeans in the South American continent. Cabo de la Vela is hardly swamped with travellers just yet (although it can get very busy on holidays) but it’s generally seen as a fairly important spot to visit on a Colombian adventure. The real beauty lies of this area lies 2 km north of the village at Playa del Pilon, where tangerine sands are cusped in a cove beneath Pilon de Azucar, a headland of blue-gray shales. From the top of this Pilon you will get stunning views of La Guajira.
Punta Gallinas is the northern-most point of South America. It is a remote place with one of the most dazzling landscapes in South America
La Guajira Tour Detailed Itinerary
Today you will travel to Riohacha. Upon arrival to Riohacha, we will pick you up at the airport to take you to the hotel.
Meal Plan: None
Today we will go to Cabo de la Vela where you will spend the night in one of the Rancherias managed by the local community.
On our way to Cabo de la Vela, we will visit Manaure, famous for its salt flats and salt production. Here, you can see a salt production plant as well as see the salt drying out in the salt flats. The water here is almost white due to the high salt concentration.
We will also visit the beautiful beaches called Ojo de Agua (Water Eye) and Pilon de Azucar.
Overnight: Cabo de la Vela - Rancheria Wayuu
Meal Plan: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Today we will go to Punta Gallinas, the most northern point in Colombia. You will spend the night.
During our way to Punta Gallinas, we will visit various places where you will be able to enjoy the spectacular landscape of this Colombian region. Some of these places are:
- Jepírachi Wind Farm - Jepírachi in Wayuu language means winds from the northeast. The wind farm is the first of its kind in Colombia. It has 15 wind turbines each with 1.3 MW, generating 19.5 MW of installed rated power capacity. The park opened in April 2004.
- Puerto Bolivar - The largest port in Colombia located 75 km north of Uribia and 166 km of Riohacha in an area of low rainfall and permanent winds. Coal mines Cerrejon, 150 km south, is the main product exported through this port. The port receives ships of up to 175,000 deadweight tons, 300 meters long and 45 meters wide.
- Bahia Honda (Honda Bay) - We will have a short trip in a boat around this bay and we will visit Punta Soldado and Punta Aguja- You will have the opportunity to swim and relax at this place.
- Dunas de Taroa - Some of the most spectacular beaches in the area.
Overnight: Punta Gallinas
Included meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Today we will start our journey back to Riohacha.
Overnight: Hotel Riohacha
Meal Plan: Breakfast, Lunch
The tour ends today. At the time required, we will transfer you to the airport.
Meal Plan: Breakfast
- Airport pick up and drop off
- 2 nights' accommodation in Riohacha (Double occupancy)
- 1 night in Cabo de la Vela
- 1 night in Punta Gallinas
- Private ground transportation from and to Riohacha
- Meals as defined in the itinerary
- Local English-speaking tour guide
- Activities mentioned in the itinerary
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- International / Domestic flights (*)
- Meals not listed in the itinerary
- Tips and other discretionary expense
Note (*): If you want to include the domestic flight please contact us
Riohacha: During your time in Riohacha, before staring the journey to the northern point of South America, you will stay in a comfortable hotel by the beach.
Cabo de la Vela: You will stay for one night at one of the Rancherias Wayuu in the area managed by the local community. The accommodation is very basic but clean.
Punta Gallinas: You will stay for one night at one of cabins available in the area, you will sleep in a hammock.